Sunday, August 24, 2008

Where's Waldo in Bosch's Hell?

This is the right panel of The Garden of Earthly Delights. It apparently is a portrayal of hell as imagined by the 15th century painter and member of the Brotherhood of Our Lady, Hieronymus Bosch. Lamentably little is known about this enigmatic painter. His own thoughts and feelings regarding his work were either never recorded or have been completely lost to antiquity. What obscure allegory might be drawn in these fantastical images that will forever go unnoticed by viewers living outside the time when the once-common references would have been easily recognized? Whatever Bosch might have said of his own work, six centuries after it's creation, it is considered some of the greatest (and perhaps the first) in the vast dreamlike genre of surrealism. Even the famed psychiatrist Carl Jung described Bosch as "the discoverer of the unconscious." It's sometimes tempting to think that we, with our modern technologies for the creation of art, have a monopoly on the expression of frightening imagery. When watching decades-old horror films it's easy to laugh at what today seems like only a puerile attempt to show genuinely frightening images, especially when we compare them to the gruesomely realistic monstrosities and gore that splash our television screens now. But the ominous twinges of fearful fascination evoked by the hellish depictions in Bosch's work remind us that the singularly bizarre is embedded in our psyches as humans, regardless of the age in which we happen to live or the technology we have since mastered. There is something in Bosch's creations that touches some archetypal nerve.

Anyways, as I'm sure you've already noticed, I have desecrated this great piece of art by throwing Waldo into it. (But hey, desecration, unlike vandalism, is a victimless crime, right?) If you've never heard of Where's Waldo, check out his wikipedia article, or the Where's Waldo website. Let me explain...

As a child, specifically around my age 6-9 white-wolf-in-the-closet era, I used to stare at a copy of this painting I found in a book we had on "The Mind". I didn't quite understand my fascination with it. I thought it might have something to do with all the naked people in the picture, but we had other art books depicting naked people, maybe even some in photographs. And I didn't stare at them... (as much.) Back then, my answer to any question as to my fascination with it would have been that I thought it was cool because it was just so damn weird. That's still my only answer, only now I'd admit to being a little frightened by it as well. I'm no psychologist, but if I were to pretend I was (always good for a chuckle) and basing it on the conversations I used to have with my Mom (who was a psychologist), I might say it's the result of my subconscious recognition of archetypal symbols of fear that are found throughout the imagery of this piece of art. Be that as it may, this painting is just plain trippy. And I've always appreciated the trippy, even in days long before the cloudy haze of combusted cannabis plant-matter descended upon my mind for the first time.

To my surprise, books with the work of Hieronymus Bosch weren't widely distributed to elementary school libraries, nor were they likely to be found in the home room book box. However, Wheres Waldo was. And unlike The Garden of Earthly Delights, the artwork in the Where's Waldo books came with a list of events or people depicted in the image, and you could search for them, even cross them off the list when you had found them. Bosch, and Waldo each have their strengths and weaknesses. But I thought I would combine them for you here. Waldo is supposed to be difficult to find, but no matter what his placement, he'd stick out like a sore thumb in this painting, considering it isn't real strong with thatcartoony red/white contrast Waldo hides in so well. For this reason, I just put him front and center. But Waldo instills in us a sense of challenge, so as not to disappoint, I also made a list of things you can visually hunt around for.

(Here is a very large version of the image, if you want to look more closely.)

See if you can find...
  1. Human feces (and I don't mean the waste that comes from humans) in a bubble beneath the throne.
  2. Even with a full suit of armor, he still makes for a fine feast to these beasts.
  3. This ladder leads to warmer places.
  4. A habit-wearing porker expresses her affection.
  5. A demonic battalion crosses a quaint little arched bridge.
  6. This man supports one large flute on his back and another partially inside his rectum.
  7. A cute little bunny with a stabbing and gouging utensil.
  8. A moth-winged demon skewers a man in the belly.
  9. Someones face peers out from inside a... drum(?)
  10. A man has a large key. Or does it have him?
  11. A conversation with a moth-bird beneath a fat man with an anal insertion.
  12. On her hand and knees, a woman gives a creature a piggy-back ride.
  13. This man is a contented chair for a cloaked story-reader.
  14. His blindfold suggests the sword in his neck was a failed execution.
  15. A Valentines-esque heart on a stick.
  16. She's ringing a triangle, is it dinner time?
  17. Into this hole falls feces, vomit, and people who apparently haven't been entirely digested.
  18. A metallic booth for a little privacy, maybe?
  19. A woman embraced by branching twigs.
  20. Someone kneels at a barrel for a drink, sheltered within a grotesque giant
See if you can spot...
  • How many characters have something inserted in their anus?
  • How many characters have been pierced by an arrow or sword?
  • How many humanoid monsters are there?
  • How many giant knives can you find?
Here is an image labeling the answers for ya.

If you want to add more to this list of things to hunt for, or phrase some of the list items in a more puzzling way, leave it in the comments and maybe I'll post an updated version later on.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Hillarious! I love the list of things to find at the end! It is like some kind of macabre scavenger hunt! I remember your fascination with both the Where's Waldo books and with Bosch so well. Strangely, I was so scared/disturbed by that painting I could never look at it for very long. It honestly felt like my brain rejected it.

Anonymous said...

I've always liked this picture as well. And I must say kudos on the blog, you think much like myself. In fact its because I used the quote per dolorem ad astra as a tagline for my myspace that someone told me that your blog exists, they googled per dolorem ad astra cause they didnt know what it meant. And I really enjoyed the scavenger hunt it showed me some thing I never knew existed in this painting.

Veovis said...

Hey, thanks for the kindly comment. It's good to know people are stumbling across this place. I searched around a bit for the phrase "per dolorem ad astra" before starting the blog and was glad to find it was only very rarely used elsewhere. Turns out it's used in Alan Moore's Watchmen graphic novel. Also, I do remember coming across a MySpace page with it on there, so it just might be that I happened upon your page too. Possibly.
I'm glad people actually... partook in the scavenger hunt thing and enjoyed it. I was considering doing something similar periodically with other Bosch paintings. I'll take this as inspiration that I should.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'd like to see a larger image of this painting and interview the artist--quite a complicated mind, to be kind. You're right about what your Mom would say, and Jung would agree w/her!

Veovis said...

Thanks, Tamara. Yeah, I'm sure Bosch would make for an interesting psychological case study. If you want to see a larger image of the painting, follow the link (I did put it in the main post, but as small text): http://www.astro.ucla.edu/%7Ecolbert/GardenHUGE.jpg

Kate Pitrone said...

My son sent me this, your version of Bosch's Hell plus Waldo.

I chose to write about this tripych in an art history class, once, a long time ago. He was not really nutty, or nutty beyond what the era he lived in, which was awful, (Black Death, endless war and the pervasive fear that accompanies an uncertain world) engenders in people. His Hell is a nightmare and is full of nightmarish things, as that was worst imagery he had. What did anyone expect from Hell?